Okay, so last night I went to bed and as usual I was laying there all comfy with my Kindle Fire surfing the net and checking the latest news. When done getting updated on the latest news from around the country and world, I switch over and find some fiction to read until I get drowsy and decide to put the Kindle away and go to sleep.
Last night I decided to go back and read ‘Duel at Strolling Ponds’. I usually don’t read the works I have published after they are published… I don’t know why, I just don’t like to do it. Anyway, as I am laying there next to a snoring Miss Nancy, I and have a good time perusing through number two of the Shogoro story when I notice a spelling error. I can’t begin to explain how much it bothers me to find stupid spelling errors in my writing AFTER publication.
When writing I typically just get the words typed out and keep moving forward. Yes, when my auto spellchecker indicates an error as I type I will almost always stop what I am doing and fix it. But for the most part I rely on re-reads and editing to find and fix errors. Then, after I finish a story I will go back and edit it when I do complete re-reads. I find lots of errors and fix them, not necessarily spelling errors, but errors where I miss a contraction I want to use, or an apostrophe to indicate possession, or maybe a word is not spelled wrong but it is the wrong word. For an example, last night I noticed on the second page of the story I had written ‘girls’ when the word was supposed to be ‘girl’.
When I came upon the error I made a mental note to update the file in the morning and resubmit to the publishers. Fixing an error is actually pretty easy when the media is an e-book.
Here is where the frustration kicks in… As I continued to read the story I found more errors; some spelling errors, and some that I am surprised my readers did not notice themselves and send me heads up to maybe have fixed! Things like in dialog where a character made a reference in the dialog to himself, when it was supposed to be about somebody else. It was a simple “I” needing to be changed to “you”, but it really threw if the dialog.
It blew my mind that I was finding these errors. There were four or five in total. So, after I finished reading the story I couldn’t lay there in bed any longer, I got up and went to my computer immediately to make the fixes while they were still in my head.
Writing and editing can be so frustrating at times. But, as in indie author doing self edits is not enough. The mistakes I make in writing I don’t always see when doing a read through. I do have a couple people who are avid readers go through my stories prior to publishing to double check flow and for any errors. Alas, not everything is caught.
But I have to say, that story has been downloaded many thousands of times across Amazon, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Apple…etc… I have had people email me about how they love the story and want more, but never any feedback on errors. It really surprises me that nobody mentioned those mistakes in the text.
So I am encouraging any and all readers to let me know if you find something that seems wrong in my stories and let me know ASAP! I will investigate immediately and make a fix.
I cringe to think what errors lie above in the blog post I just wrote.
As a side note, I think part three of the Tales of Katsume Shogoro will be out soon, and part four also soon to follow. Don’t get honked off though if I decide to charge $0.99 cents per story moving forward.